Educator as an architect

Google Sketchup. (2013). [Image. Creative commons]. Retrieved from here.

The crucial message my educators want me to have is the concept of lifelong learning, the idea that learning is a fluid concept, ever-changing and requires high levels of adjustable attitudes to continue a developmental journey long after the graduation podium. A message that seems to be seeping though to me given the title of my blog.

Lifelong learning embraces the idea that as we educate the youth today, we prepare them for an unknown future, we thus need to plan our educative experiences such that they  arm them with the best possible skill set and knowledge base. In Australia, we are quite fortunate to have a visionary curriculum in the context of which educators can become metaphorical architects and build enriching experiences. In fact, there is  an architectural tool  Google sketchup and having seen my young sons design various buildings, cities, aeroplanes, airports, I can vouch for its application in the use of mathematics, creative design, art curriculum, as well as an affective tool that engages and motivates and as a mathetic tool as they collaborated amongst themselves and shared ideas with the online google sketch community. Now I just need to brush up my google sketch up skills  (read- call my boys to teach me) and think of innovative ways of applying it into learning experiences to transforms learning.

9 thoughts on “Educator as an architect

1. Pingback: Planning my unit of work by thinking backwards

2. Hi Faezams,

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on the architectural role the educator takes on when designing learning experiences. Some of your thoughts inspired me, so I hope you don’t mind that I mentioned some of them on my blog. I particularly liked your reference to educators needing to build enriching learning experiences. As you suggest, this is pertinent to an everchanging society, we need to prepare our learners for the future, as preparing them for the present is nowhere near enough.

Regards

Mrs Frintzilas
    http://mrsfrintzilas.edublogs.org/

• Hi Kelly and thanks for your lovely comments. Please feel free to use anything on my blog that you find useful. I have often seen your writing before in various context and enjoy your insighful reflections too.

All the best and kind regards.

Faeza

3. Pingback: Cheyenne Sprange – ICT and Pedagogy Blog

4. Pingback: Unit planning with a ‘constructivist’ approach | Oh, the places you'll go!

5. Pingback: Backwards design

6. Pingback: JL's blog - Learning to plan ‘Backwards’